Review of #DirtyLittleSecrets by @ErinTheAuthor #Romance #Mafia
Erin Ashley Tanner's upcoming release Dirty Little Secrets will be out on the 21st! I'm terribly excited for her. I was lucky enough to get an early ARC copy to read and review. She calls me the mafia queen (I wish she wouldn't) and she really wanted to see what I thought of her dipping her toes into the genre--softly, as it usually goes. 

So, check out a little bit about Dirty Little Secrets and then scroll lower for my review of the book. 

--Kris

***


Danger ignites a passion neither of them can refuse.


 Ava Hill learned early in life that to survive, she has to be twice as smart, twice as ruthless as those who seek to undermine her. As the widow of a mob boss with a daughter to raise, nothing is more important than protecting what's hers.
 Her determination to shield her child from the ugliness of her past takes a hit when a man claiming to be her late husband's son barges through her front door. 
 Dominic Sambarino demands half of her daughter's inheritance. Ava wastes no time showing him she'll come out swinging with everything she has. But no amount of fight in the world can prepare her for the instant, smoldering chemistry between the two of them. 
 A friend's invitation for a weekend getaway is a welcome chance to regroup, or so Ava thinks. But she soon finds herself caught in a circle of her dead husband's secrets and lies that threaten to cost her everything. And her only safe haven is the one place she vowed she'd never go----Dominic's arms. 

Bethany-Kris's Review of Dirty Little Secrets
*****Five out of Five Stars*****

Ava Hill learned the hard way that there is no such thing as good men or love. Her deceased husband, a former Cosa Nostra Don, taught her that first hand. To save her father's life for the debts he owed, Ava offered herself to her deceased husband as payment only to become his Goomah and later, wife. After an accident took away her husband, Ava moved on from being the Boss's wife with her daughter. She's a ruthless, take-no-crap business woman with success as her middle name. When Dominic Sambarino--her dead husband's alleged love child--shows up on her doorstep demanding half of her daughter's inheritance, Ava is ready to show just how much of a fight he is up for. 

Dirty Little Secrets is not a gritty mafia tale. I want to get that out at first. The heroine was once married to a mafia boss and the hero of the story, Dominic, is in some ways, affiliated to the mob. There are a great deal of mob aspects that move the plot along and finishes it out--which a huge surprise and whoa moment, I might add--but if you're looking for the dirty, underbelly of the mob, this isn't it. 

That doesn't make this story any less GOOD. Because it was and I adored it. Ava is strong as hell and I can relate to that. I think those who can't would probably prefer a heroine with a softer side, but reality check, when you're groomed to be a Mafia Don's mistress, there is no "soft side". There's simply his side. Ms. Tanner does an exception job with the backflashes of Ava's time as her husband's mistress leading into becoming his wife. She captures the Goomah lifestyle and treatment perfectly. 

And her Italian men ... all old school. So old school. We're talking "broads" and "fuggetaboutit." She hits on a certain age group of the mafia men (Not the hero in particular) where they were still living in this wise-guy mentality and weren't quite ready for what the new age mob would throw at them. 

I appreciated that more than I can say. I loved it, really. 

The relationship between Ava and Dom is certainly fast-paced and intense. There is little wiggle room and he doesn't give Ava much of a choice once he moves in for the kill. I constantly found myself questioning Dom, wondering what he had up his sleeve or if his motives were up front. That makes for a good read. 

All in all, it's an awesome tale. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a little heat with their suspense and maybe a little mob action thrown in on top. And that twist at the end? I didn't see it coming. I thought I knew who it was ... I was crazy wrong. 


***

Please Note, I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion, which you got.
0 Responses

Post a Comment