Tease and Release Date for Breathless & Bloodstained! #MafiaRomance
Breathless & Bloodstained was the one and only book in The Chicago War series where I hesitated ... where I paused, looked at the series, and wondered ... is this going to work like it's supposed to? It was the only book that took me off my very well-oiled writing schedule. It put me behind time a good month, almost to the point where I wondered if I would be able to keep the publishing time-frame I had hoped for with the series.

I don't hesitate with my writing. I always, always write for me. So I know that what I'm writing is what I want to read. It allows me to write freely, without concern of the marketability, or how it might be received once it's out in the world.

I write for me.

And I think it's wonderful when my readers come along for the ride.

And then we have Breathless. The one book that made me pause, listen to the characters, and decide to just go for it.

Release for Breathless will remain on time. March 7th, 2016 is release. Enjoy the teaser below. A little ... brother/sister love/hate.

I mean, with these families, come on. There is no love.

****


Excerpt:

Double standards and all.

Their life was full of them.

“Actually, I know why you won’t marry Chloe,” Abriella said.

Joel’s lips formed a tight, angry line. “Is that so?”

“Sure, because you’ve treated her like nothing more than a piece of ass for you to use when you want to stick your dick in something. Now, that’s exactly how everyone else sees her. She isn’t wife material because you’ve made her that way. Too bad, I think the girl might have actually liked you, Joel.”

“Excuse—”

“And God knows there aren’t very many people left who do like you,” Abriella finished with a smile. “Not with the way you’ve treated and used all of us.”

Joel’s mouth dropped open as his gaze flashed with unhidden rage. Abriella wasn’t frightened in the least, and certainly not in the face of her brother’s anger. Over the years, she had learned that Joel was like any bully. Once you stood up to him and backed him into a corner, he would quit.

Cowards always did.

“That’s quite enough,” Joel said, his tone dark with a warning.

Abriella shrugged. “Whatever you say. Frankly, I just think it’s sad. You could have your pick of women, Joel. Anyone you wanted, you could have. If you loved her, even better. What is so wrong with you that you’re more focused on making everyone else miserable instead of making yourself happy?”

Joel’s palm hit the table before he stood fast from his seat. “I said that’s enough, Ella.”

Despite his anger, Abriella could see a hint of sadness in her brother’s eyes as well. Joel was an asshole, a royal one, but he was still human. He hid his feelings well, sure, but he still felt them like any person did.

She almost wished that knowing what she did about Joel was enough to make her feel sorry for him, but it didn’t. He’d done this to his family, to himself, and to anyone else he touched.

The man was rotten to his core.

Poison.

“Have you ever considered that what would make me happy might just be something that makes everyone else miserable?” Joel asked quietly.

Abriella continued cutting her waffles into triangles. “Then all that makes you is a useless excuse for breath, brother. You’ve never gave a damn about any of us, so it’s not a big surprise. The last thing you would ever do is care, never mind put someone else first.”

Joel flashed a cruel smile. “Why should I, Ella?”

“Because we’re your family. That’s what family does.”

“This family lies.”

She would give him that, but not much else.

“That doesn’t mean you have to go out of your way to purposely hurt us, Joel,” Abriella said calmly.

“Why shouldn’t I?” he asked. “My whole life has been nothing but stains of shame from our parents and being dismissed by the man who helped to bring me into this world. They raised me this way—they created me. And you expect me to give a damn about any of you? When you make a monster,
Ella, you don’t complain about having to live with him.”

Abriella swallowed hard, taking in the hatred coating her brother’s every word as he spat them at her. “I didn’t do any of that.”

“You didn’t have to.” Joel’s coldness was back in a flash, replacing the anger he had previously shown. “You, like Alessa, don’t have the first clue of what it feels like to be the unwanted one, to be the mistake, and the shame everyone tried to cover up.”

Abriella held back from shouting the truth of her own unknown paternity at her brother, but only because she didn’t want to give him anymore ammo to hurt people with. He’d already done enough of that.

She finally understood him, though.

“You’re jealous,” Abriella said. “That’s it, isn’t it?”

Joel’s jaw clenched. “No.”

“Liar. You’re just like the rest of us, Joel, a goddamn liar. And sad—a fucking pity. You hate our mother for nothing more than the fact she birthed you instead of aborting you. You hate me and Alessa simply for being alive. And you hate everyone else because your behavior and attitude is so vile that they don’t want to be anywhere near you. Deny it, Joel.”

0 Responses

Post a Comment